Monday, August 4, 2008

News Flash: There is Political Life in LA

When I first decided to move to LA, two quick questions immediately came to mind:

1) Are people even politically active in LA?
2) Where am I going to find a hairdresser? Yes, this may seem like a rather inane question but it took me about a year and a half to find a good hairdresser in DC (shoutout to Victor at Salon Roi in DC) and I nearly lost half a head of hair in the process (the black sistas give a sympathetic nod).

So while the hairdresser situation is still in flux, I’ve been pleasantly surprised about how politically active people are. Who knew that there was more to LA than red carpets and botox treatments?

On Friday night, I was at a my former coworker Tomeika’s birthday shindig/ my farewell party Part IV (yes, it never gets old) at Panache Restaurant in DC and ran into a group of folks that were visiting from LA. They are all UCLA grads (Yea Bruins!) and are very heavily immersed in the political/ policy world in LA. It was definitely one of those moments when you realize that there are only like 1.5 degrees of separation between people in the political world (a blessing and a curse).

One of them works for Councilmember Ed P. Reyes (pictured below) and they are all attending the Democratic Convention at the end of the month. They assured me that people are indeed very much politically-engaged in the area. (Note: It was pretty obvious that these were not East Coasters because they were possibly the nicest people I’ve ever met in my life). I was thrilled to have connected with them about getting involved in the political scene in LA. Some pictures from that night ☺


My Soon-to-be West Coast BFFs:
Mike Fong (left) and George Yin (right)


Straight VIP. You know how we do!

Polifabulous!

1 comment:

inspi(RED) said...

love the captions! anyway, i think a common misconception about LA is that it is all fluff and no substance, but it's the hot seat of immigrant rights activism in country! also, homelessness, i believe. you'll be great and have connex now, HOLLA!